similar in format to a Pro-Am, is a fundraising opportunity
designed to help local junior golf programs and the AJGA Foundation.
takes place the day of the practice round. Typically, between
15 and 30 juniors are invited by the Tournament Director to
compete in this event.
have been invited to participate in a Junior-Am, you have
certain responsibilities. You have been chosen to participate
based on your ability to represent the AJGA in a positive
manner to the amateur sponsors whose contributions help make
our tournaments possible.
- Once you arrive at the course for the Junior-Am, check in
with the AJGA staff so they know you are there. They will
tell you which group you will be playing with.
- Go to the cart staging area to find your group and introduce
yourself to them.
- At that point you can warm up, eat and get ready to head
out. There will usually be a "pep talk" from an
AJGA staff member for all juniors in the Junior-Am. This will
be 15 minutes prior to starting.
- After the pep talk, head back to the cart to
introduce yourself to the remaining team members and listen
for the send-off announcements.
- Once playing, remember that you are part of the Junior-Am
team. The team will generally be able to use your drive or
score, depending on the format. Be a "cheerleader"
for your team members while they are hitting shots and stay
active in the group.
- Parents may walk along with the group, but the Junior-Am
is intended for sponsors and juniors, so parents may not ride
in the carts.
- Use proper manners and treat all sponsors and participants
- Sit with your team at the Junior-Am reception, be included
in team photos, etc.
- Ask for a business card before leaving and send a thank
you note to the sponsors you play with. You will likely make
a great impression to the sponsor not only with your golfing
abilities, but also with the way you conduct yourself. The
contacts you make may pay great dividends down the road.